Importance of seeds in human food
Human life has become dependent on plants because of their qualities. Plants provide many benefits to humans in the form of medicine and food production. Seeds of plants also play an important role in human food. Seeds are loaded with nutrients that benefit our brain and body. Now in this article, I will discuss the health benefits of one of the healthiest seeds called Chia seeds. Chia seeds have become popular so-called superfood for some years. They are small in size but are full of nutrients. The seeds are among the healthiest food on earth.
· Chia seeds are a tremendous source of Omega-3 fatty acids.
· They are rich in Antioxidants.
· They provide fiber, iron, and calcium.
· A 28-gram, serving of chia seeds contains 5.6 grams of protein.
· Eating 28-gram of chia seeds each day would provide 18% of daily calcium needs, 27% of potassium,30% of manganese, potassium, and copper in smaller amounts
Health benefits of chia seeds
1. Helpful to lose weight
High fiber foods help people to feel full for longer and they are usually low in calories. Increased fiber intake and a high fiber diet can have shown to help with weight loss.
Chia seeds are rich in fiber and its soluble fiber absorbs a large amount of water and expands in the stomach and this thing increases fullness and slows the absorption of food. Many health experts believe that chia seeds can help weight loss.
Some research facts:
· One study found that eating chia seeds in breakfast increase fullness and reduce food intake in the short term.
· In a study in 90 overweight people,50 grams per day of chia seeds were given to for 12 weeks but they did not affect body weight.
· In another 10-week study in 62 women, chia seeds did not affect body weight. But chia seeds increased the amount of Omega-3 fat in their blood.
· While one study showed obese people with type 2 diabetes on a reduced-calorie diet, when they started eating chia seeds daily.
· Some experts say that only chia seeds in your diet are not a cause of weight loss on its own, the seeds can be a useful addition to a weight loss diet.
· With the combination of a healthy diet and a healthy lifestyle, chia seeds may help weight loss.
2. High in Omega-3 fatty acids
Omega -3 fatty acids help raise HDL cholesterol, the “good” cholesterol that protects against heart attack and stroke. Chia seeds may thinner blood due to omega-3, which may prevent blood clots.
3. Lower risk of heart disease
Chia seeds are high in fiber protein and omega 3s, all these nutrients reduce your risk of heart disease. A few studies show that chia seeds significantly reduce blood pressure which is a strong risk for heart disease.
4. High in bone nutrients
Chia seeds are rich in several nutrients that are important for healthy bone. Like calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, and protein. Chia seeds have a higher amount of calcium than most dairy products. As a result, chia seed is an excellent source of calcium for people who do not eat dairy.
5. Reduce blood sugar levels
High fasting blood sugar levels are a clear symptom of untreated type 2 diabetes. Constant high fasting blood levels may be a greater risk of several chronic diseases including heart disease. A few human studies show that eating bread that contains chia seeds lowers the post-meal rise in blood sugar compared to bread without any chia.
6. Relief from constipation
A diet with sufficient fiber prevents constipation and promotes regularity for a healthy digestive tract. In this manner, chia seeds regulate bowel movements.
The result is that chia seeds do not act alone to benefit human health but may help disease prevention with the combination of plant-rich diet and other healthy lifestyle behaviors.
· Chia seeds can be eaten cooked or raw. They should be soaked before eating.
· Chia seeds are comparatively easy to find in any major grocery store. They are black in color and they have a mild, nutty flavor.
· They can be sprinkled on cereal, yogurt, oatmeal, or smoothies.
· In vegan baking, they are the substitute for eggs. To use them as an egg substitute in baking, mix 1 tablespoon of chia seeds with 3 tablespoons of water, then let them sit for a few minutes. A gel will form that can be used instead of eggs in baking.